Thursday, October 20, 2011

Autumn Lake Nature Walk

Friday, October 7.  Lake Bonaparte, upstate New York.  Foothills of the Adirondack Mountains.

I have been going to the Lake my entire life; my dad spent most of his youth living near here, enjoying frequent trips to the Lake with his family.  His parents eventually bought a house (cottage) on the Lake, and he eventually bought the adjacent property and built his own cottage.  Lake memories fill my heart and I treasure them all.

This trip was extra special:  it was my very first autumn at Lake Bonaparte.  I accompanied my parents and older brother to this beautiful corner of the Adirondack Mountains, in order to help my mom close their lake house for the winter, but also to have fun, make memories, and reconnect with family and lake friends.  Most importantly, however, was a deep need in my heart to be rejuvenated, filled with the Lord's rest and peace, and strengthened with His strength to resume my hectic-for-a-season life at home.

Here is my parents' home at the lake, which is to my back.


The Lord graced us with the most perfect autumn weather we could have ever hoped for--temperatures in the 70s, and not a cloud in the sky for pretty much the entire time we were there.


On my first day at the lake, I grabbed Ellie, put on her macro lens, and wandered around to see what we would find.  Enjoy the photojournal of my very first autumn nature walk at Lake Bonaparte.

Mushrooms on a tree trunk

The leaves tell of autumn coming

More mushrooms!

Still some flowers around...

...and critters on the flowers

This little cutie showed up with a wave and a shouted "Hi!" as her great-grandmother and she walked up our sandy drive.  Since the macro lens was on, I had to stand waaaay back to capture her.


I wandered off down the single-land road, stopping to capture the beauty along the way.






Even weeds display the handiwork of God!





Ferns and leaves shout out His glory as well.




As I completed a very short circuit around the circular road (the whole circle is only about 1/4 mile!), I found a few more samples of the Lord's beauty at the roadside.




I love the trees at the lake.  Pine and birch dot the landscape, and I love the peeling white bark of the birch trees.


My first little jaunt into autumn nature at the lake was done.  Sometimes you have to look closely to see the amazing detail and care that He has taken with His creation.

The heavens are the heavens of the LORD,
But the earth He has given to the sons of men.
The dead do not praise the LORD,
Nor do any who go down into silence;
But as for us, we will bless the LORD
From this time forth and forever.
Praise the LORD!

Psalm 115:16-18 NASB


To see the next post in my Lake Bonaparte getaway, click here.

Capturing the moments of life.

Christine

Visit my website
Stop by my family blog
Find me on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pictures. I don't have a macro lens, but I can see that it would be fun to have one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna go on a walk with you. Gorgeous shots.

    ReplyDelete