Friday, March 9, 2012

Project 52 -- Be Still

project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.com

I'm linking up with Darcy for Project 52.
Click her Project 52 button above to see what it's all about!



This week's challengeBe Still



My photo:



My thoughts:

I know, I know.  Ducks?  Yep.  The more I look at this photo, the more it reminds me of the theme be still.  This will require some explanation.  :)

When I planned my jaunt to the Whalon Lake recreation area, I had in mind a serene lake picture with calm water, and maybe even a reflection.  Of course, I knew the word windy didn't quite describe the conditions when I went on Wednesday afternoon.  I wandered around anyway to see what I could capture that would reflect this week's theme.

I took several shots of these black ducks with my telephoto lens.  After I downloaded them, the above image provided an intriguing look at the struggle these ducks had just trying to stay in one spot.  Not only the ripples and waves, but also the almost speckled surface of the water is proof of the strong gusts that buffeted those birds.  Look closely at the bird in the center of the image struggling to stay afloat as a wave breaks around him.  He embodies what I've experienced emotionally this past week or so.  But, as I look at this image, I remember the Lord's reminder that (especially) during times like this, I am to be still.

Cease striving and know that I am God...
Psalm 46:10a NASB


The setup:

No special setup other than really bracing my arms against my body, not breathing, and desperately trying to hold my camera steady in the wind.  I really got blown around out there!  I set a high ISO and a low aperture so I could obtain a fast shutter speed to compensate for all the moving around.  (So much for the stillness of winter before spring!)


Camera settings:
  • ISO 500
  • Manual mode
  • 70-300mm telephoto lens at 300mm
  • Aperture at f/5.6
  • 1/500 second shutter speed

Can you see the little whitecaps in the image below?  It's a very small man-made lake, so you can imagine the wind it took to create that!




Treasuring life's moments,
Christine

Visit my website
Stop by my family blog
Like me on Facebook

4 comments: