Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Challenge

I'm usually up for a challenge.  When it comes to photography, I definitely like a challenge!  And when it comes to photography and someone who does not want his picture taken, I take it as a personal challenge.  It is no longer about photography, but about getting the reaction I want.  Then I can take the picture.

Such was the case this past February at the Mother/Daughter Encouragement Weekend.  I set up my portrait studio in the church's library, and had a great time snapping images of mothers and their daughters throughout the weekend.  Then one family walked in to have their portrait taken--one mom, along with her five daughters.  It took just one look--that littlest one (I'm guessing around three years old) did not want to be there.  There was no way I was going to get her picture.  If I remember correctly, her arms were crossed and she was determined.

I had only minutes with this family, since I had moms coming in with their daughters all throughout the conference.  This was not my typical hour-long photo shoot.  Two minutes, one family picture, done.  I had to work fast.

So, I played Guess Your Name.  Jackpot!  She thought that was pretty funny, and I had her laughing in no time with all the girl names I was thinking up.  Once she was laughing, I quickly got the ladies arranged around their mom, and snapped away.  I got a decent shot, and you can see Haley, in the black dress with red bow, laughing as I snapped this shot.


Whew!  As I started chatting with the mom, Katie (to Haley's right) climbed up on the stool where her mom had been sitting.  She dangled her legs and was having a great time.  Haley thought that that'd be pretty fun, too, so she climbed right on up next to her sister.  Their mom and I noticed, of course, and tried to pose them.  Haley didn't like that, but once her mom got her situated next to her sister, I got her laughing again.  Thank goodness my camera still had all the right settings and was sitting there, waiting!


Mom suggested, "Haley, kiss your sister!"  I guess Haley settled into her good mood at that point, because she turned on the stool and gave her sister a great big hug.  Another opportunity!


Katie was so cute as she just sat there and "took it" from her sister.  And then the moment:


Three awesome shots.  Those were the hardest shots I'd worked for in a long time, and the best images from the entire weekend.  Thanks for playing with me, Haley!


Treasuring life's moments,
Christine

Visit my website
Stop by my family blog
Like me on Facebook

 

1 comment: