Saturday, July 20, 2013

June Garden Tour

I post a lot of garden pictures on my family blog.  But, every once in a while, I like to feature some of those images here.  That's mostly because I have Millie.  She's my 100mm macro lens.  (You know by now I name my camera; some of my lenses have names, too.)

I dropped her a few weeks ago, right on our concrete patio.  Ouch.  She seems to have weathered the fall, except when I have her aperture wide open (f2.8).  So I bump her up to f4 and higher, and she works like a charm.  Yeah, I know, I know.  I can't afford to have her fixed, since I just paid to have a different problem fixed with two lenses--one of which was Millie.  So I'm making do.  I guess you can tell me in the comments section below if she's still doing a good job for me or not.

This onion appeared in my butternut squash bed--it's from last year!





When I first started gardening and had some garlic growing, I called my friend Becki in utter confusion when I noticed the below growing.  Did I miss something?  What were those things at the tops of my garlic??


They're called garlic scapes, and eventually turn into the flower--a mini garlic head--with seeds that will become the next year's garlic crop.  You can actually cut these off and cook with them, though I haven't tried it yet.  I had so many garlic "seeds" last year that I should be able to cut off some scapes one year and try something with them.  I've read that they're a real delicacy nowadays, selling for high prices at farmers markets.  Hmm, another money-making venture?  :)


I couldn't let a garden post go by without a few flower shots, so here they are--my day lilies by the back yard patio.





Treasuring life's moments,
Christine

Visit my website
Stop by my family blog
Like me on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I think the photos turned out great. I've never seen garlic grow like that, kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! I know about the garlic, right? I'm going to have to try cooking with the scapes one year. I love garlic, so they should be good!

      Delete